While the U.S. has extended the ban on non-essential travelers entering the country’s land borders of Canada and Mexico through September 21, the Canadian border reopened to American travelers on August 9th, with a few requirements in place for visitors. To assist our travelers with what you need to know for entering as well as traveling within the country, we have compiled the primary components below.
Air Travel Documentation Requirements: All Travelers Must be Vaccinated to enter Canada by air.
- Proof of full vaccination. Travelers will need to present proof of vaccination that was completed at least 14 days prior to travel. Accepted forms of proof include either a paper or digital copy for each vaccine dose received.
- Test Results: Even if you are fully vaccinated, you will need to present either a Negative Covid-19 test, or a proof of a Positive Covid-19 Molecular test within the time parameters as outlined below:
- Negative Covid-19 Test. The test must have been taken within 72 hours of the traveler’s scheduled departure time. This is a strict 72 hours, not a 3-day limit. For faster processing, a paper copy of the test result is recommended.
- Positive Covid-19 Molecular Test. If you previously had the Covid-19 virus, you may present a positive molecular test that was taken between 14 and 180 days prior to your arrival in Canada.
- ArriveCAN app. In addition to the above documentation, Americans must enter their information via the ArriveCAN app three days before they plan to arrive in the country. Travelers will get a receipt from the app, which must be shown to a Canadian border service officer prior to departure to Canada.
If all of the above documentation is in place, vaccinated travelers will not need to quarantine, nor schedule any testing upon arrival in Canada. However, travelers could be randomly selected upon arrival for testing. Those randomly selected will not need to quarantine while they await the results of the test.
Land Border Travel will Accept Unvaccinated Travelers:
Unvaccinated Travelers are allowed entry via land borders, but with additional requirements. As well as the above specifications, unvaccinated travelers will need to quarantine once they’ve arrived in Canada, and will need to take a Covid-19 test on arrival and on the 8th day of their quarantine. It’s recommended that unvaccinated travelers create an account with an in-Canada Arrival test provider in advance to save time at the border.
How to Prepare for Traveling into Canada and Returning to the U.S.
- Travelers should keep both paper and digital copies of all of their required documentation.
- Americans will need to have a negative test result within 72 hours of departure to the U.S. to reenter the country.
- Americans will not need to quarantine upon reentry to the country, but are advised to have a test taken 3-5 days after arrival.
As with all unexpected travel needs, TI is here to help you make any arrangements needed should this situation arise.